Published July 11, 2017
Our guest is Peter Seeley, a photogrammetrist with 30 years of experience in the industry! Photogrammetry is such an integral part of commercial UAV work today, and allows for the high value data products that countless drone companies deliver to clients. While working with Strategic here on Vancouver Island, I was speaking with a colleague about some of the more technical photogrammetry questions that come up when I’m processing drone imagery. He recommended that I get in touch with Peter Seeley, who I was eventually introduced to. We were able to connect, and with over 30 years of experience in photogrammetry beginning in his homeland of Scotland, he has some great insights to share.
Some of the topics covered in this podcast episode:
- How photogrammetry relates to the current drone boom
- Details on ground control points and why they are important
- Imagery resolution versus Ground Sample Distance (GSD)
- The evolution of photogrammetry over the years
- Structure from Motion (SfM) discussion and the drone industry
Mike Morellato is the lead author and founder of WorkingWithDrones.com. He works with drones and their data at Strategic in Campbell River, BC (Canada).